The Department of Science and Technology (DOST) through Philippine Council for Health Research and Development (PCHRD) in cooperation with the Philippine National Health Research System Capacity Building Committee (PNHRS CBC) and University of the Philippines - College of Public Health will implement the one-year Fellowship in Epidemiology Program. The program is a crucial step to capacitate health researchers in this discipline in order for them to contribute in addressing gaps in public health.
The one-year course is designed to help the Fellows develop the necessary knowledge and skills in conducting quantitative public health research. Aligned with the DOST-PCHRD’s mission to develop and strengthen capacity for health research, the Fellowship Program aims to:
- Develop the knowledge and skills of young researchers in quantitative methods in public health research;
- Conduct intensive training in Epidemiology for fellows; and
- Develop a pool of experts with the appropriate knowledge and skills to conduct quantitative public health research.
The applicants must:
- Be a Filipino citizen;
- Not more than 50 years old at the time of application;
- Be willing to submit medical certification on physical and mental fitness;
- Have a bachelor’s degree in health sciences, health social sciences, public health, or any health-related course with Biostatistics and population research in the curriculum (a master’s degree in any health-related course, doctor of medicine, and/or background in Biostatistics is an advantage);
- Have at least 1 year of relevant experience in public health work, and 4 hours of relevant training;
- Pass the exam, interview, and other screening procedures;
- Be willing to render the required service obligation equivalent to the length of time the program was enjoyed; and
- Must have a full-time commitment to the fellowship and must not engage in any form of employment (If employed, must be officially on leave from work) and not enrolled in any degree program during the fellowship period
- Monthly Stipend (PhP 25,000.00)
- Research Grant
- Capacity Building Grant (May be used for attendance to local/international conferences in order to present (poster/oral) the research they have completed during the program)
The Fellows shall be selected based on the following selection process:
- Technical Exam – Applicants shall take a technical exam which consists of multiple choice and essay-type questions to assess their existing technical knowledge on quantitative public health research.
- Assessment of Written Work - Applicants shall submit a sample of their written technical output (i.e., research paper, research brief, or any technical document) for assessment of their technical writing skills.
- Panel Interview – Applicants who passed the technical exams and have an acceptable written work shall be interviewed by a panel composed of representatives from DOST-PCHRD, PNHRS, University of the Philippines – College of Public Health, and other relevant stakeholders.