The Department of Science and Technology- Philippine Council for Health Research and Development (DOST-PCHRD) is pleased to announce that the call for nominations for the 2023 Best Mentor in Health Research Award is now open!
The Best Mentor in Health Research Award is offered biennially to recognize and reward mentors in health research who have built the capacities of researchers in the health sector and, in the process, propelled significant advances in the Philippine National Health Research System’s (PNHRS) thrusts as identified in the National Unified Health Research Agenda (NUHRA).
A. WHO CAN NOMINATE?
The nominating party may be any of the following:
- Head of the nominee’s institution or immediate supervisor
Self-nomination is not allowed.
B. WHO CAN BE NOMINATED?
- Must be a Filipino citizen
- Must be with appropriate or relevant academic qualifications
- Must be actively involved in mentoring researchers/students or colleagues for at least 3 years
- Has a good track record as a researcher in terms of any of the following: publication, product development or policy formulation
- Professionally involved in health research activities either as a research program/project leader, principal and co-principal investigator, mentor/adviser/trainer, or author/co-author
- Actively involved in any health research activities in the last 5 years such as conduct of research training and extension work, paper presentations, fund generation, research promotion and networking, research agenda setting, and capacity-building activities
NOTE: Winners are ineligible for subsequent nominations, while non-winners are still eligible for nominations if they submit a new set of documents, but not for consecutive calls of nomination.
C. HOW TO NOMINATE?
- Submit the IDD-BM-F2 recommendation form (either personally delivered, by courier, or through email) for initial screening to the Regional Health Research and Development Consortium Secretariat (Please refer to the attached RHRDC Directory).
- For completed DOST-PCHRD and ASTHRDP scholars, submit nominations to DOST-PCHRD for screening and endorsement of the PCHRD Scholar’s Society (PSS).
The deadline for submission of nominations to the RHRDC/ DOST-PCHRD (if DOST-PCHRD and ASTHRDP scholars only) is on or before January 6, 2023, 4:00 PM.
D. FOR QUALIFIED NOMINEES (to be determined by RHRDC and PCHRD by January 2023)
To submit five (5) hard copies and soft copies (uploaded in Google Drive folder) of the following documents:
- Accomplished curriculum vitae of the nominee using IDD-BM-F3 form;
- A narrative description (1,000-1,500 words) of the nominee’s mentoring activities using the guide questions provided, accompanied by supporting documents, e.g. photos and other relevant documentation;
- Description of other achievements attained related to health research for the last 5 years, including supporting documents e.g., photocopy of certificates of recognition/awards/honors received by the nominee, which are relevant to the nominee’s eligibility criteria; and
- Cite names of 5 mentees, their achievements in research, and a narrative description of the nominee’s contribution to the success of each mentored research.
- For hard copies: Submit in a folder with proper tabbings and table of contents
- For soft copies: Upload in a Google Drive folder with one sub-folder per criteria
- Supplemental documents and/or verifications may be required as deemed necessary
E. SELECTION PROCESS
|All nominations, including those from non-members of the consortium, should be submitted to the consortium secretariat; nominations from completed DOST-PCHRD and ASTHRDP scholars, submit to PSS (c/o DOST-PCHRD)|
|The consortium/PSS will check the completeness of the documents and will shortlist the nominees|
|Shortlisted nominees should be endorsed by the chair of the consortium/PSS and must be submitted to DOST-PCHRD|
|The Cluster Selection Committees for Luzon, Visayas, Mindanao and NCR will convene to review, validate and select the Cluster Winners from the nominees|
|The profile of Cluster Winners from Luzon, Visayas, Mindanao and NCR shall be submitted to the National Selection Committee for further evaluation|
|The National Selection Committee shall choose one National Winner from the Cluster Winners|
- The consortium must provide DOST- PCHRD with the complete list of nominees from their region
- The decision of the Cluster and National Selection Committee is final
- Documents pertinent to the nomination of non-winners will be returned to their owners
F. SELECTION CRITERIA
The review of nominations by the Cluster/National Selection Committee will be based on the following criteria:
This may include awards/recognition received by mentees/advisees/students of the nominee or any agreed criteria; impact of R&D in terms of patenting, commercialization, and/or utilization of research results into policies and actions such as training modules developed, teaching manuals, community modules, contribution to national health development/equity and/or relevance of research results in health care delivery; etc.
G. INCENTIVES FOR QUALIFIED NOMINEES AND WINNERS
- All qualified nominees will receive certificates of recognition.
- Cluster Winners from Luzon, Visayas, Mindanao and National Capital Region will receive respective cash prizes and plaques of recognition.
- Mentors of Undergraduate Students – PHP 50,000.00
- Mentors of Graduate Students – PHP 50,000.00
- Mentors of Junior/Early Career Researchers – PHP 100,000.00
- National Winners for each category will receive respective additional cash prizes and trophies which will be awarded during the PNHRS Week Celebration.
- Mentors of Undergraduate Students – PHP 150,000.00
- Mentors of Graduate Students – PHP 150,000.00
- Mentors of Junior/Early Career Researchers – PHP 200,000.00
|Call for nominations||October 14-January 6, 2023|
|Deadline of submission of recommendation form to respective consortium||January 6, 2023|
|Submission of the endorsed recommendation forms to DOST-PCHRD||January 13, 2023|
|Submission of complete nominees’ documents to DOST-PCHRD||January 16- March 15, 2023|
|Screening of nominees’ submitted documents||March – May 2023|
(Cluster and National)
|June – July 2023|
|Awarding of Winners||16th PNHRS Week Celebration
(second week of August 2023)